What is ICU, what is the full form of ICU, full name and meaning of ICU, you will get answers to all such questions in this post.
Full Form of ICU
The full form of ICU is “Intensive Care Unit“. ICU is the department of a hospital where serious patients are treated.
You must have often heard that the person is admitted in the ICU or the doctor has referred the person to the ICU. Whenever it comes to ICU, people become a bit serious as it is not normal to get admitted in ICU.
Any person in ICU is admitted only when his condition is very critical or his chances of survival are very less. ICU is the department of the hospital where state-of-the-art machines and equipment are available, with the help of which all efforts are made to save the person. ICU has very sensitive and well developed machines used to treat a sick person.
Equipments in ICU
Et CO2 Monitor
Patient Controlled Anesthesia Pumps
Patient bed motorized
X ray viewer box
Ambu bag mask set
Electronic needle destroyer
Oxygen flow meter
Feeding tubes, suction tubes
Reverse Osmosis plant
Electronic Weighing Machine
Continuous renal replacement therapy
Color Doppler for general purpose
Intra Aortic Balloon Pump
Non Invasive Cardiac Monitor
Portable X Ray Machine
DVT Pumps/leg compression device
Patient warming System Air Warmer
Function of Some of These Devices
This machine is used when the patient has trouble breathing.
This machine is used to deliver food to the patient’s body.
This machine is used to take more than one information about the patient’s disease.
This machine is used to measure the Oxygen Level in the patient’s blood.
This machine is used to remove blood from the patient’s body and clean it again and put it in his body.
Features of ICU
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) – NICU is used to treat and care for diseases related to newborns. In this, only those new born children are treated who have not taken leave from the hospital after birth.
- Pediatric intensive care unit (PICU) – PICU is used to treat many diseases such as asthma, influenza, diabetic ketoacidosis, painful brain.
- Psychiatric intensive care unit (PICU) – PICU treats those patients who are mentally ill and harm themselves.
- Coronary care unit (CCU) – In CCU, congenital heart disease and heart related diseases are treated.
- Mobile Intensive Care Unit (MICU) – This is an ambulance in which all the equipment of ICU is already present and a team of doctors is also present in it. In this, the time for treatment of the patient is not exhausted and the patient is treated without wasting time.
When does a Patient Get Admitted to ICU
There are many situations in which the patient is admitted to the ICU such as –
- If a person has suffered a major heart attack, in such a situation, the person is admitted to the ICU.
- If a patient has reached a coma, then the patient is admitted to the ICU.
- If the kidney of a patient fails, the patient is admitted to the ICU.
- If a patient’s liver stops functioning, then the patient is admitted to the ICU.
- If the blood pressure of a person decreases too much, then in such a situation the person is admitted to the ICU.
- If a person has a serious accident or is not breathing, in such a situation, the person is admitted to the ICU.
Other Possible Full Forms of ICU
Information Communication Unit
Instruction Control Unit
Investment Climate Unit
Integrated Control Unit
Irish Canoe Union
International Cyber University
In Creative Unity
Industrial Control Unit
Interactive Configuration Utility
Industrial Credit Union
Internet Communication Utility
Iris Control Unit
Industrial and Commercial Unit
Institute of Cardiovascular
International Classes for Unicode
Intesive Care Units
Intercom Control Unit
In this post, I tried covering everything related to ICU including the full form of ICU. Now, it’s your turn. Give this nice post a favor by sharing it with your friends.